- Posted by Chase Lanier
- On February 27, 2018
- 1 Comments
- Augusta, classes, Code Bootcamp, Coding, community
Welcome Matt Hill, our newest member of the staff here at theClubhou.se! He is taking over the roll of instructor for the Code Bootcamp as we bid farewell to Nadeem Soharab (he’s going to FINLAND!) Matt has been involved with theClubhou.se for a bit through projects like NASA Space Apps. Matt is bursting with energy and can keep the banter going. Say hey to Matt the next time you are at theClubhou.se!
1. How did you come to be a member of theClubhou.se?
As a previous member of Booz Allen Hamilton, I was introduced to theClubhou.se as part of our community outreach. Someone here liked me, because I got a text from Eric asking me to come down here full time. My previous team was excited about the opportunity as much as I am. So I packed up and came over.
2. Describe the moment you decided what you wanted to do when you grew up?
Growing old is not optional. Growing up is. I don’t plan to do that. I am a life long learner and I have no idea what I’ll be doing five years from now so long as it interests me and is difficult.
3. What do you do in your current work?
I’ve spent the last five years training analysts. I teach no matter where I go. That’s my passion.
4. What is an expertise you have that you would like to share with others?
Getting out of comfort zones. I always try to look for goals that require legitimate effort and encourage others to do the same.
5. What are you tinkering with at the moment?
Aquaponics. I’ve managed to make a healthy enough environment for my fish and plants that I accidentally started breeding goldfish.
6. What are you interested in learning?
Machine Learning, currently all my programming skills are geared toward analysis and design.
7. What is your favorite sci-fi movie?
I don’t think I have a favorite sci-fi movie. I grew up on Star Trek: The Next Generation.
8. If you have not lived all of your life in Augusta, where else have you lived?
Oklahoma, Germany, Arkansas, California, Texas, New York, here…in that order.
9. If you could see one thing happen in Augusta in the next 5 – 10 years, what would it be?
I want the empty stores downtown filled with thriving businesses. I want lunch time down there to be filled with bustling people grabbing a bite to eat, chatting, and then heading back to their tech jobs. I want to be part of that scene.
10. theClubhou.se Core Values are: Risk Boldly, Honor Your Commitments, Be Worthy of Trust, Give More Than You Take, and Share Solutions. Which core value do you best exemplify and why?
Share Solutions, this goes back to my “trying hard things” idea. I love getting thrown at problems with the open ended goal of “fix it.”